Tuesday 15 March 2011

3. What kind of media institution might distribute your product and why?

IPC Media

IPC Media (formerly International Publishing Corporation), a wholly owned subsidiary of Time Inc. is consumer magazine and digital publisher in the United Kingdom, with a large portfolio selling over 350 million copies every year.
Notable magazine: NME

This company could publish my magazine. IPC would be good company to publish my magazine as it already successfully publishes NME. Also, it has no direct competition for my magazine, as my magazine is aimed at an audience who listen to slightly heavier music than those who read NME. If my magazine were to be distributed by this company

Bauer Media  
The Bauer Media Group (Bauer Verlagsgruppe) is a large German publishing company based in Hambugh, which operates in 15 countries worldwide. Since the company was founded in 1875, it has been privately-owned and under management by the Bauer family. It was formerly called Heinreich Bauer Verlag KG, abbreviated to HBV and usually shortened to H. Bauer Worldwide circulation of Bauer Media Group’s magazine titles amounts to 38 million magazines a week. 
Notable magazines: Kerrang!, Mojo, Q

 

Despite Bauer Media’s success I wouldn’t use it to publish my magazine. This is because it already publishes Kerrang!, Mojo and Q Magazine, and these magazines would be competition. But on the other hand, because they have had success at marketing these similar products, it would mean that they could do the same for my product, potentially making it as successful as Kerrang, one of the highest-selling music magazines in the UK. Also, as the company also owns Q TV, 4Music, Kiss TV, Kerrang! TV, The Box, Magic TV and Smash Hits TV. This means that they could easily use cross-media promotion to make more people aware of my product, using Kerrang! TV and Q TV specifically as those channels are more likely to be watched by my target audience.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment